Monday, April 10, 2006

Following the footsteps


Doctor ka beta doctor ,buisnessman ka beta buisnessan,this are the cliched comments of yester years . Normally in todays world you are free to do anything you want .But what happens when you belong to whole family filled with judges and lawyers and you decide to do engineering.
Well that has happened to me and i can give the first hand expirence of my sufferings which in form of never ending stream of questions are thrusted on me from time to time.
Just because my father is retired high court judge,my mother is Add District judge ,Mathura,my grandfather from maternal side was retired District judge and is lawyer right now in Mumbai high court,grandfather from paternal side was a lawyer,(list is only half finished),uncle from maternal side is district judge of Satara,uncle from paternal side was a lawyer,cousin is a lawyer,aunty from maternal side is a lawyer working in BMC(mumbai) (this list comprises of my immidiate relatives only), I am expected to study law and keep up the family tradition.
Well I already made the mistake and i ,unfortunately going to stick to it. Whenever i am introduced to anyone and he knows my family background the first question is that "beta law kyon nahi pad rahe ho"...
I am prepared with only one answer "interest nahi tha.."
Well not all the people are satisfied with the answer and they go on saying that how can you dont like the profession in which you are brought up.. i really dont have the answer to this question.. i try to avoid answering it by sheepish grin and shrug of shoulder and try to escape.
Even in my all job interviews i am asked the same question.and i tell them about my parents only.i think the trend is going to be continued....
Well i think being reared into a specific kind of enviorment like mine can have two kinds of effect..
Firstly one can absolutely fell in love with the profession and stick to it.
Secondly,which happen to me , you get so bored of it , you dont want to listen any word about it.
The constant dinner table conversations and discussion between mother and father took toll on me and was forced me to look for alternative carrier.
My parents needless to say fully supported me and let me bail out form the law house.I will be the first engineer in my family. It is not that i despise the law profession , i am proud of my parents achivements . It is just i did not see myself doing what they did.
Sometime it is tempting to think what would happen if i had stuck to law ,i would be living in my home ,aram se,and would be under the giudence of greatest mentors. I am happy so say that my brother is carring the family torch and will enjoy these benifits .....
Then i think it is better this way for me to start from scratch and learn to live diffrently.

3 comments:

Mayank said...

my dear friend " Advance confidently in the direction of your dreams, and endeavour to live the life you have imagined ".

Work calmly. It hardly matters what the world has to say. Its your life !!

Seeking Clarity said...

Have you read Robert Frost's 'The Road not Taken'? I think you might relate to it quite a bit...

satyajit said...

nice post.. i can only imagine how bored u must've been of a million questions from your relatives